To inspire and enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
A Boys & Girls Club Provides
- A safe place to learn and grow
- Ongoing relationships with caring, adult professionals
- Life-enhancing programs and character development experiences
- Hope and opportunity
The Youth Development Strategy
Club programs and services promote and enhance the development of boys and girls by instilling a sense of competence: The feeling there is something boys and girls can do and do well.
- A sense of usefulness:
The opportunity to do something of value for other people.
- A sense of belonging:
A setting where young people know they ”fit” and are accepted.
- A sense of power or influence:
A chance to be heard and influence others to make decisions.
When this strategy is fully implemented, self-esteem is enhanced and an environment is created which helps girls and boys achieve their full potential.
What Kids Need to Succeed
Youth have a healthy self-concept, a strong belief in their own
self-worth and a sense of hope about their future. They are adept at
setting and attaining goals, confidently making the necessary decisions
to achieve their life plans.
Youth have the knowledge, skills, strategies, and attitudes necessary to have a positive foundation for success. Youth become competent by mastering tasks, demonstrating to themselves that they can do things well. They develop competence in the following areas:
Youth are proficient in basic educational disciplines and have the capacity to utilize technology. Having graduated from high school, they are motivated to constantly develop new abilities and hone existing skills to maintain a competitive edge.
Youth are able to develop and sustain positive relationships with others.
Youth are able to recognize , reflect on, and appropriately express their emotions, manage stress, and cope with positive and adverse situations.
Youth have an understanding and respect for their own cultural identity and for the cultural identity of others; they are able to contribute in a multicultural society and demonstrate tolerance for differences among people.
- Community & Civic Involvement:
Youth have a sense of belonging to their community, family, and/or group, and are willing to take civic responsibility. They work closely with others to contribute to the greater good.
- Health & Well Being:
Youth live healthy lives, take part in regular fitness activities, are able to access health care resources, and engage in positive behaviors. They use sound judgement about personal safety, nutrition, and avoidance of alcohol, drugs, and premature sexual activity.
- Moral Compass:
Youth have values enabling them to develop positive relationships with others. These values include honesty, a sense of justice and fairness, respect, caring, and spirituality.
The Boys & Girls Club movement must engage youth in activities that are fun and enjoyable while supporting development of the capacities described above. This is accomplished through club programs and in discussions between staff and club members. Clubs cannot achieve without caring, capable staff who forge relationships with young people and influence their ability to succeed in life.
Boys & Girls Clubs…
- Are for boys and girls. They satisfy the age-old desire of young people to have a “club” of their own.
- Have full-time professional leadership, supplemented by part-time workers and volunteers.
- Require no proof of good character. They help and guide girls and boys who may be in danger of acquiring, or who already have acquired, unacceptable habits and attitudes, as well as those of good character.
- Make sure that all girls and boys can afford to belong and even the least interested will not be deterred from joining.
- Are for girls and boys of all races, religions, and cultures.
- Are building-centered. Activities are conducted in the warm, friendly atmosphere of facilities specially designed for youth programs.
- Have an open-door policy. Clubs are open to all members at any time during hours of operation.
- Have a varied and diversified program that recognizes and responds to the collective and individual needs of girls and boys.
- Are guidance oriented. Clubs emphasize values inherent in the relationships between young people, their peers, and adult leaders.
- They help boys and girls make appropriate and satisfying choices.